Spray paint is an inexpensive and convenient way to decorate your home. Due to comfort and satisfaction, you can complete even big projects in minimal time by implementing less effort. Unlike paint brushes or rollers, a sprayer helps you get an excellent finish at textured surfaces, angles, and corners. Nevertheless, taking care of paint safety and accuracy is important. Otherwise, you will encounter spray paint cracking.
The cracking of spray paint occurs due to many significant reasons, for example, high temperature, moisture, and inaccurate coating. You may not feel the spray paint bubbling or cracking before it dries completely. Too quickly applying paint or thick paint also causes wrinkling before and after drying.
Don’t worry! You can mend it easily if you follow the right tips. This guide is all about how to fix spray paint crackle on different surfaces and fixing blotchy spray paint!
Table of Contents
- how To Fix Cracked Paint- Quick Tips
- Why Does Spray Paint Crackle? & Spray Paint Crackle Effect
- 1: Temperature
- 2: Moisture or Humidity
- 3: A Thick Layer Of Paint
- How To Fix Spray Paint Crackle – Easy Steps
- Step 1: Preparation
- Step 2: Sanding
- Step 3: Use Primer (Optional)
- Step 4: Apply Only High-Quality Paint
- Step 5: Apply Coats Carefully
- Step 6: Wait Before The Next Coat
- How to avoid Spray Paint Crackling?
- How To Fix Blotchy Spray Paint?
- Why Is My Paint Cracking When It Dries?
- Crackle Spray Paint For Glass
- How to fix spray paint crackle On Glass
- How to Fix Spray Paint Cracking On Plastic
- Spray Paint Cracking On Metal
- How To Fix Cracked Spray Paint On Wood
- FAQs On Spray Paint Cracking
- Why is my spray paint cracking?
- How do you fix crackling spray paint?
- Why did my Rust-Oleum paint wrinkling?
- Why is my second coat of spray paint bubbling?
- Why Is Spray Paint Cracking On Second Coat?
- How do you make spray paint smooth?
- Final Words On How To Fix Spray Paint Crackle!
how To Fix Cracked Paint- Quick Tips
Why Does Spray Paint Crackle? & Spray Paint Crackle Effect
There are many significant reasons behind the spray paint crackle effect, some factors are as follows:
You will notice paint cracking when the temperature is too hot or cold. The reason is that the adhesive effect of paint alters with the change in temperature. The upper layer dries quickly, and the bottom layer remains wet, causing cracks. Spray painting is ideal at temperatures between 50°F and 90°F with humidity under 85%.
2: Moisture or Humidity
Another cause is the moisture which is also created due to temperature change. When it’s too hot outside, the upper paint layer gets dried quickly, leaving behind the wet paint. As the crackle is exposed due to temperature; therefore it’s crucial to use a paint sprayer at optimal temperature ranges.
Did you know?
The humidity in the house contributes to mold growth, so can you paint over mold to prevent it from growing? Read the detailed guide for more information.
3: A Thick Layer Of Paint
The first layer should be completely dry before spray painting. If you overspray one area, the paint layers don’t adhere. As a result, your paint will appear uneven and cracked. Therefore, you should apply multiple lighter coats rather than heavy coats.
Therefore, professionals always recommend you prepare the surface before spray painting. Check all the cracks, damages, and clean the surface from any debris. Use primer when it is necessary and don’t apply a second coat before it dries. If you follow these procedures, the spray paint crackle effect will not be an issue.
How To Fix Spray Paint Crackle – Easy Steps
You can fix spray paint crackles for all kinds of surfaces by following the easy steps mentioned below:
Step 1: Preparation
Whenever you start spray painting, preparation is necessary. As you know that it releases the toxic fumes which can be dangerous after breathing. Therefore, make sure to wear a quality face mask. Always check the ventilation and open all the windows to get the air passed. Try to create a less humid or cooler environment to get the best paint adhesion and drying.
Step 2: Sanding
When you are trying to paint an already painted surface, it helps cover the damages and make the surface smooth. Buy finely-grained sandpaper and rub all the damaged areas carefully. After sanding, clean the surface with a smooth or wet cloth.
Step 3: Use Primer (Optional)
A primer is the best compound to use for consistent and even coverage. The manufacturers are manufacturing specialized primers for spray painting projects. Use a roller or a paint brush to apply primer. Make sure the primer gets dried before spray painting. We recommend you give a few hours gap or at least one day if you have enough time to complete the project. It will surely help you get the cracking-free spray painting on any surface.
Step 4: Apply Only High-Quality Paint
Good-quality paint is also a reason to get high-quality results. You can buy paint from top-notch brands such as Krylon, Zinsser, and more. Don’t forget to check your painting requirements, and you will easily find an affordable solution.
Ensure painting with the help of thin paint, don’t go for a thick paint. Mix the oil or water in the right proportion to get thin paint. Apply at optimal speed and a reasonable distance to get an even finish.
Step 5: Apply Coats Carefully
It’s helpful to know how many coats are required for your painting project. The answer depends on many aspects, including the type of paint, the surface, and how you apply the paint. The brand also affects the number of coats; choose carefully the spray paint brand.
According to our experience, two coats establish good adhesion and solid color. We also recommend using two coats for long-lasting performance.
Step 6: Wait Before The Next Coat
Don’t apply the second coat in a hurry. Wait for a few hours; otherwise, waiting for about 24 hours reduces the chances of paint cracking. Further, read the manufacturer’s instructions to know the exact waiting time. The reason is that you can prevent cracking when the area is ventilated, cool, and the surface is dried. When the environment is humid or damped, they increase the chance of cracking.
How to avoid Spray Paint Crackling?
You can follow the expert tips to minimize the chances of early peel-off, cracking, and other issues
- Shake Well & Mix Properly: Sometimes, we don’t shake the paint well, which causes a non-homogenous mixture of the paints. Therefore, shake strongly and mix the paint well to get a quality homogenous mixture.
- Spray Paint From The Right Distance: While painting, keep a suitable distance between the nozzle and surface. Make sure to paint with medium speed to get the even paint.
- Seal The Surface: Sealing is another salient factor in getting a crack-free painting surface. Check the dents and other damages and seal them properly. It secure it for long-term from the unwanted weather conditions and any damage. Nowadays, you can choose a paint with sealant formula, a single solution for two problems.
- Spray Paint Lines: When you get spray paint lines, it means the sprayer is dirty and unclean. So, clean it carefully before painting.
- Fisheyes: Sometimes, tiny dots appear on the paint, called fisheyes. The reason is still the residue and unclear surface. Sanding will resolve this issue quickly.
- Paint Drips: The paint drips are caused due to over-thinning, spraying from very close to the surface, applying more paint, or slow-moving speed while painting. So, keep a suitable distance and paint at a medium speed.
- Peel off: When the paint dries, it looks like orange peel. It happens when you apply too much paint in a single coat. Therefore, apply a significant amount of paint by observing the paint finish carefully.
How To Fix Blotchy Spray Paint?
Fixing blotchy spray paint is a simple DIY task if you follow our instructions carefully. Being patient is the key concern to mending it accurately. Check the basic steps below:
- Surface preparation is the first step, so prepare it according to the surface type, such as metal, plastic, etc.
- Adjust the sprayer to spray paint at a specific speed. Check the recommended spray paint grabbing angle for it.
- Keep going spray paint from a suitable distance recommended by the professionals or manufacturer.
- Always try to apply light coats for better results.
- Keep your posture hand according to the targeted surface.
- If you still get the blotches, let them dry for about 24 hours.
- Sand it on all the blotchy areas.
- The next coat should be applied using the tips listed above. Learn more about the causes and how to get rid of blotchy spray paint!
Why Is My Paint Cracking When It Dries?
Many factors are involved in paint cracking, but the most prominent is inadequate surface preparation. Temperature change is also one of the primary culprits behind the paint cracks. Likewise, over-thinning, insufficient sanding, moisture, and thick paint are also the reasons behind this problem. Not only the cracks, but you will also observe the clumpy, bubbles, or swollen look.
Crackle Spray Paint For Glass
The application of spray paint on glass can crack if it is too thick or if the glass surface is not properly prepared.
How to fix spray paint crackle On Glass
Glass surfaces that have spray paint crackles can be repaired in a few ways:
- Spray paint the glass lightly to ensure an even, smooth finish.
- Clean the glass surface and make sure there are no oils or contaminants present before you paint it.
- Use spray paint formulated for glass, as some types of spray paint may not adhere well or may not be suitable for glass surfaces.
- You can heat up the paint using a heat gun or a hairdryer, then scrape away the cracked paint using a putty knife.
How to Fix Spray Paint Cracking On Plastic
When you paint a plastic surface, it is also open to cracks. The main cause is the application of paint from distinctive angles. Always wait for longer to apply the second coat to overlap properly. Don’t forget to start painting plastic after sanding to get more adhesion for the paint. Moreover, you can also use primer here if you have enough budget to prevent paint cracking on plastic.
Spray Paint Cracking On Metal
Metal gets cold very easily, making the paint stop sticking properly. Therefore, always warm up the metal before spray painting. When the metal is hot, the paint will stick perfectly, reducing the chances of cracking. In addition, if the metal is heated correctly, you can spray paint it without primer application. Apply the second coat when it dries perfectly.
How To Fix Cracked Spray Paint On Wood
Fixing cracked spray paint on wood is pretty easy if you know the reason behind it. The primary reason is the wood’s unsmooth surface, so you have to make sure the surface should be smooth before spray painting wood. Eliminate all the moisture and make it dry by using a primer. After drying you can paint it as you like.
FAQs On Spray Paint Cracking
Why is my spray paint cracking?
The spray paint cracking occurs due to temperature changes, quick drying of the paint, moisture, rough and uneven surface. Whenever it occurs, sand the surface, apply a quality primer, and go towards the paint after all. Surely, you will get rid of paint cracking.
How do you fix crackling spray paint?
Fixing spray paint cracking is easier when you follow the right procedure. First, clean the surface with the help of sanding, clean it, and apply a high-quality primer. After that, apply the spray paint accurately to get an even finish. Leave it spare for 24 hours before the second coat.
Why did my Rust-Oleum paint wrinkling?
The reason behind Rust-Oleum paint wrinkling is the uncured paint surface beneath the upper layer. The upper film of the paint dries quickly, leaving the bottom layer wet. When both get to interact with each other, they create wrinkles on the paint surface.
Why is my second coat of spray paint bubbling?
When you apply too thick paint after the first coat, the blisters appear on the surface. The condition may be more diverse depending on the conditions. The blisters allow the paint to evaporate, and air bubbles may enter under the layer to accumulate further.
Why Is Spray Paint Cracking On Second Coat?
Most spray paint cracks when it is applied incorrectly or when it is too hot or too cold. Another common mistake that causes crackling is spreading paint too thin, or applying another coat before the previous one has sufficiently dried.
How do you make spray paint smooth?
A little sanding and repairing the damages with primer is the best way to make spray paint smooth. Don’t forget to sand all the uneven surfaces and clean all the residue. After performing this operation, you will get an extremely smooth spray paint finish on the wood.
Final Words On How To Fix Spray Paint Crackle!
In conclusion, fixing spray paint crackle requires proper surface preparation, including sanding and cleaning, as well as the use of appropriate painting techniques, such as using light, even strokes and following manufacturer instructions. If the crackle is caused by a reaction between the paint and the surface, it may be necessary to strip the paint and start over with a different type of paint that is compatible with the surface material.
To prevent crackling in the future, it is important to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and prepare the surface properly before starting the project.